Bloomberg News seeks a social media reporter
Bloomberg News is one of the world’s biggest and most influential news organizations. Our Global Technology team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world. We’re seeking a talented, dedicated and creative reporter to join our award-winning team in San Francisco to cover Facebook parent Meta and the social media business, including Snapchat, TikTok and other emerging competitors. We’re looking for someone eager to break news and write in-depth features on the owner of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, balancing fast-paced news and analysis with deeper, longer-term stories and projects. This role is for an ambitious reporter who can stand out in one of the most competitive beats in business journalism, amid a reckoning for Big Tech.
Who we’re looking for:
You’re an experienced, agile reporter with a deep rolodex of technology industry contacts and an intimate knowledge of Facebook and other important companies, their products and their impact on society. How many insiders at big technology companies do you know personally, and how comfortable are they talking with you outside the reach of PR handlers? How deeply do you understand the consequences, both positive and negative, of the way Big Tech companies build products and seek growth? Beyond following the news and writing about its impact, you seek to inspire change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing, spark debate, and spur regulators and lawmakers into action. You’re versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly on the most pressing breaking news of the day, while still pursuing more broader and more impactful investigations. Can you file a FOIA request for an investigation in the morning and, later that afternoon, submit a breaking news story in 10 minutes? You’ll be asked to contribute to a variety of platforms, including the Bloomberg terminal, the web, Bloomberg TV and QuickTake videos, and Bloomberg Businessweek magazine.
We’ll trust you to:
- Lean on existing sources and develop new ones to generate influential news
- Write original, feature-length stories about Facebook and other social media companies, explaining how they are impacting consumers, competitors, the market, the economy, and society in general
- Break news with speed and accuracy
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team and others across teams and regions
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
- You’ll need to have:
- Minimum of three years of technology journalism experience
- Strong knowledge of and curiosity about interest in the industry
- A consistent track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under pressure
To apply, go here.