It’s an exciting time to be part of BBC News. We are expanding in North America, our biggest market outside the UK, and we are recruiting a correspondent for our economics and business team.
The BBC is the most trusted news brand in the US. Our North American operation covers US and Canadian news for domestic and global audiences. In this role, you will be expected to work shifts including some weekends, and will be based in our New York office.
BBC News is committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive organisation. We expect you to help cultivate that.
As a Correspondent, you’ll provide coverage and analysis of North American economics and business news across a range of BBC output. You’ll use a variety of techniques across all channels and platforms in order to deliver stories in ways which are credible, engaging and accessible for our audiences. You’ll analyse key developments, often at short notice and live on air, developing and displaying knowledge of specialist subject areas. You’ll plan ahead and originate ideas for future content which is appropriate for a global and, at times, UK audience. Other key responsibilities include:
- Meet high journalistic standards and fully observe BBC Editorial Guidelines, seeking advice from Editorial Policy when appropriate.
- Provide coverage and analysis of business and economics news in North America, drawing on specific areas of knowledge or the ability to adapt to a range of subject areas.
- Ensure a high level of fast, accurate, fair and engaging journalism.
- Provide well written and well produced packages, reports and items for bulletins, programmes and services provided by BBC News across all media.
- Deliver live and packaged content from the field and in the studio including breaking news and planned events for all outputs including TV, radio and digital.
- Tell stories in the most appropriate way to deliver our journalism to a variety of UK and, when relevant, global audiences.
- Use social media to inform and enhance BBC UK and international news coverage.
- Provide leadership and specialist understanding on editorial matters for the rest of BBC News, as appropriate, influencing the BBC’s UK and Global News agenda.
- Develop a wide range of contacts and contributors across economics and business, where appropriate.
- Keep abreast of and advise editorial and production staff on developments in the economies and business of North America.
- Analyse and place events in context and maintain an overview of complex situations.
- Ensure that BBC’s output reflects the audiences we serve, with a particular attention to diversity.
- At all times carry out duties in accordance with BBC health and safety policy, completing risk assessments.
Are you the right candidate?
Candidates will need to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of North American economics and business issues relevant to the target audience. You will be able to bring stories to life on camera with an authentic on screen presence, appealing to a wide range of audiences. Other key skills and experience:
- A high level of editorial awareness and judgment demonstrated by a strong journalistic record.
- Proven broadcast and written skills with the ability to deliver reports with assurance from location or the newsroom/studio.
- Able to present and explain complex information and ideas in an accessible manner, adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- An excellent understanding of different programmes and services and their audiences.
- Able to develop in-depth knowledge of a particular subject and use that knowledge to offer insight and perspective.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with a range of people, working with others as part of a team and developing effective relationships outside the BBC.
- Demonstrate a commitment to improving the diversity of the BBC’s coverage, representing all audiences and all points of view.
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all relevant factors such as deadlines and resource requirements.
- The flexibility and adaptability to provide high quality journalism, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- Follow BBC safety requirements and instructions, especially in relation to emergencies; report any accidents, dangerous situations or defects in safety arrangements.
24 month attachment / fixed term contract
Salary range – $105,000 to $118,000 per annum gross
Full-time staff job with benefits including healthcare, paid leave and a retirement savings plan.
To apply, go here.