Ignites, a leading publication covering the U.S. mutual fund, ETF and defined contribution retirement plan marketplace, seeks a managing editor to maintain its high standards of editorial excellence and lead a team of talented, motivated reporters.
The successful candidate will take charge of a daily newsletter and website that gives readers in-depth coverage of the most relevant issues hitting the mutual fund, ETF and retirement businesses.
- Drive overall direction of publication, including how beats are structured, hiring, recruiting, training and coaching of reporters and continually adjusting content to meet readers’ needs.
- Manage and coach a team of nine reporters and editors to produce the most important information (news, research, data visualization, video, etc.) to a readership of professionals in the investment management industry.
- Conduct regular performance reviews.
- Work with other departments to incorporate video, graphics, webcasts into our editorial coverage.
- Source and manage freelancers.
- Edit all content and put out the daily issues of Ignites. Edit breaking news alerts as necessary. Lead regular story meetings, and guide story selection.
- Ensure adherence to Money-Media style and quality standards.
- Develop knowledge of the space we cover and what’s important and valuable to readers. Meet with or talk to readers or others in the field to ensure Ignites is meeting their information needs and to find out where there may be gaps or opportunities. Monitor online statistics and readership to gauge editorial quality.
- Consider competitive threats and developments and ways to combat those or enhance Ignites in response. Research and implement ideas on how to improve and differentiate the award-winning publication.
- On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group. Share knowledge and expertise where necessary with events group. Represent Ignites’ editorial team internally and externally.
- Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
- Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience. Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, ferret through filings, develop enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
- Track record of continuous improvement to your work, as well as the ability to think about creative ways to present information.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Knowledge of investment management specifically or financial services not required, but a plus.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn. Flexibility and resilience.
Salary: $120,000 – $135,000
For further details click here.