Ft. Myers News-Press seeks a business reporter
The Fort Myers News-Press is looking for a business journalist with a focus on growth and development and workforce issues.
This reporter will produce a blend of in-depth enterprise, watchdog stories and quick reads for The News-Press and sister paper the Naples Daily News based off breaking news or growing trends.
The ideal candidate will produce sophisticated, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and will choose the right platform and type of content for each story. This position requires a versatile journalist skilled in building and working sources and digging out enterprise stories that give our audience stories they can’t find anywhere else.
The environment is target-rich: Southwest Florida is home to some of the fastest-growing communities in the nation. Older areas are ripe for redevelopment. State and local programs add to the tens of thousands of acres of preserved land yearly, and yet growth continues to push into previously off-limits areas and the habitat of the endangered Florida panther. The area has recovered from the Great Recession, but it has largely failed to diversify its economy, which is heavily reliant on tourism and real estate. Still, the area has plenty of national and multi-national private and public companies ranging from Hertz Global to Chico’s FAS.
The writer who joins our award-winning news team will have video and social media expertise, and a passion for storytelling.
The successful candidate also will:
- Report and deliver a steady stream of stories that sets up The News-Press and The Naples Daily News as THE go-to source for business news.
- Work with partners around the state and nation as part of the USA Today Network – Florida and the larger network.
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat in a manner that will connect with families and industry insiders alike.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, using social media savvy to bring news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time
metrics to respond to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video such as Facebook Live to spotlight high-interest news and events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach, such as moderating an expert panel, and connect with readers through social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related discipline
- At least three years of reporting experience
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Attention to detail and unflagging dedication to accuracy and fairness.
Send a resume and your five best clips to Sheldon Zoldan at firstname.lastname@example.org