Front Office Sports has an opening for an experienced Reporter. The ideal candidate has a background covering the business of sports, has sound business-related news judgment, as well as experience with cross-platform content creation. We are looking for a reporter with a deep passion for covering the impact of sports on wide-ranging topics that include business deals, retail, crypto, media, real estate, and more. If you are a news junkie and enjoy covering the power and influence sports have on business and culture, this job is for you!
- Responsible for unearthing news, trends, and developments in the sports and business of sports beat
- Develop a network of sources to help generate news scoops, story ideas, and insights to share with readers.
- Attend daily team meetings to discuss story ideation and line-ups.
- Report to Senior News Editor and pitch and accept story assignments to be written on deadline
- Take the opportunity to take the lead in break news as well as to work on in-depth, longer-term projects
- Deliver clean, clear-sighted copy while rigorously adhering to a deadline
- Use WordPress to build and publish Front Office Sports articles on FrontOfficeSports.com
- Anticipate major news events around sports tentpoles and plan ahead as is possible to cover them
- Conduct occasional interviews to use in your writing as needed
- Desire to engage on social media to promote your work, the work of colleagues, and the broader FOS brand.
- Monitor readers’ replies to build an understanding of Front Office Sports audience and an interest in internal metrics to understand what subscribers desire
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and share information
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise:
- 3+ years of writing experience in business/sports media with strong writing skills
- Experience working in beat reporting and a breaking news environment
- Experience with research and fact-checking with to detail and creative, strategic thinking
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multi-task and collaborate
- Knowledge of social media platforms and engagement strategies
- Hand an interest in newsletter business and high metabolism for consuming and covering the news
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to help continue to build something new and fresh
- Ability to carry over any existing relationships with sources at teams, leagues, agencies, athletes, and other sports figures
Join our passionate and dedicated team and help shape the future of sports media. Apply today with your resume, cover letter, and portfolio showcasing your editorial accomplishments.
For more information click here.