The Future Today Institute is seeking a Staff Writer to source, report, create, refine and publish a variety of content for FTI. This will include the annual FTI Tech Trends Report, their weekly and quarterly newsletters, client and public scenarios, and other digital and print editorial products.
About the Company
Founded in 2006, the Future Today Institute helps leaders and their organizations prepare for complex futures. They focus exclusively on how emerging technology and science will disrupt business, transform the workforce and ignite geopolitical change. Their pioneering, data-driven forecasting methodology and tools empower leaders to make better decisions about the future, today.
What FTI is Looking For
You demonstrate an enthusiasm for futures thinking. You can work alongside our research team to stay informed of emerging trends in technology, business and society. You have the ability to absorb complex ideas and distill them for business or general audiences. You work well independently and are flexible and adaptable.
Your engagements will include working with FTI researchers, affiliates, and associates to help them develop an impactful written product that will achieve the intended goals for each project. You will act as a thought partner and line editor, helping FTI craft compelling narratives. You’ll also help FTI associates to shape raw content (research, interview transcripts, outlines, speaker notes) into various editorial products. You will partner with external creative teams on a variety of projects. Meeting deadlines and managing workflows is paramount.
How to Apply
- Send your Resume
- Send a cover letter (500 words or fewer) and describe why you want to work with our team specifically. In the letter, also include a paragraph explaining what you like about our annual Trend Report and what you think could be improved. Please be candid and specific.
- Include two writing samples (business-related article or strategic scenario narrative––sensitive content can be redacted)
- Include three links to editorial content that you think is exceptional. Any content type is fine: can be a long-form article, a news article, a digital media project or other editorial product.
- Collaborate with FTI consultants and researchers to develop, write, edit and publish various forms of content.
- Act as a development editor and a line editor, working with FTI consultants and researchers to create narratives, develop compelling drafts and final products.
- Help FTI consultants to shape raw content (research, interview transcripts, outlines, speaker notes) into various editorial products.
- Help develop client deliverables (primarily scenario narratives) as needed.
- Assist our tech trends team in their work on our annual reports.
- Imagine better futures. We’re always eager to find new creative outlets for foresight. You’ll help us imagine new projects to pilot.
- 5+ years of professional experience in communications, business writing or covering tech trends
- Strong editorial judgment; solid understanding of sourcing and documentation
- Excellent writing skills (we will ask for writing samples from qualified candidates)
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas
- Flexible, adaptable and open to different ways of solving problems
- Passionate about the future and strategic foresight (preferred)
- Deeply interested in emerging technologies and science (preferred)
- We prefer candidates located in the greater New York City area, however we will consider candidates based in CST or EST time zones. Note: this position is only open to U.S. residents.
This is a part-time position or could be structured as an independent contractor position with a dependable set of regular hours. The position may evolve to full-time.
To apply, go here.