Fortune seeks a deputy digital editor
Fortune is hiring a thoughtful and energetic deputy digital editor to lead day-to-day operations of our digital newsroom. This is a high-profile role in a newsroom that values kindness, experimentation, and telling good stories. We are looking for someone with leadership skills to guide experienced and inexperienced reporters and editors alike and collaboration skills to work with editors across a wide range of teams.
- Collaborate with editors and writers across the globe to execute breaking news, exclusive scoops, and longform reporting across topics such as technology, finance, politics, entertainment, retail, energy, and health
- Generate ideas and exercise creativity in how to cover news nimbly and intelligently
- Edit and publish copy every day
- Ensure a diversity of ideas, perspectives, and voices
- Command the newsroom during breaking news to make Fortune’s work a vital part of the national conversation
- Solve problems for editorial colleagues who assign, edit, and produce
- Uphold Fortune standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness
- Enforce processes and maintain editorial calendars
We believe that business journalism is many things, and it’s OK if you don’t have previous experience working in business and markets coverage—although that’s a plus. We can teach you those things. Above all, we’re looking for an editor who can collaborate with positivity, lead with empathy, and execute with efficiency.
The right candidate:
- Has proven experience running a news team for a digital publication
- Executes careful, considered news judgment
- Aches to tell important stories that hold those in power accountable
- Is infinitely curious and always has a story idea ready to go
- Is eager to try out new formats, from hopping on camera for a video to contributing to one of Fortune’s newsletters
- Edits clean, accurate, and insightful copy on deadline
- Exercises flexibility and adaptability
- Effectively prioritizes tasks in a fast-paced environment and juggles creative personalities
- Communicates professionally and effectively in a remote environment
Fortune’s headquarters is in NYC, but our editorial team is based across time zones and international borders. We’re working remotely right now because of the pandemic. We encourage applicants between the coasts to apply. The position will report to the digital editor.
To apply, go here.