Forbes is looking for a Consumer Tech Reporter for its News Desk. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in consumer technology and everything that it encompasses — new products, key updates, breakthrough features and innovations—and also a passion for thinking quickly and creatively off of breaking news stories about related topics. This reporter may report on major security lapses or cover new product roll-outs, but with an eye toward what’s original and truly important, and not just hype.
The News Desk is a new initiative at Forbes; candidates should be comfortable with a fast-paced environment, writing multiple posts a day, and comfortable with trying out new approaches.
**This is a contract position, with the potential for full-time employment.**
- Proven ability to break, or jump quickly on, key stories on consumer tech subjects, with a heavy focus on major products and brands.
- Identify major stories on your beat before they break elsewhere.
- Quickly turning around articles with sharp, story-advancing approaches and angles.
- Explain new technology in a clear and compelling way.
- Comfort in writing multiple posts on any given day.
- Be a clear communicator across Forbes’ multiple editorial departments and contributors.
- Ability to quickly track down sources for interviews.
- Show a strong facility with headlines and other display copy for any/all social media platforms.
- Strong interest in and basic knowledge of business news and financial coverage.
- Previous full-time job as a writer or editor
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or equivalent.
- Outstanding writing, grammar and editing capabilities
- An instinct and enthusiasm for identifying newsworthy, as well as shareable, stories that resonate with the target audience
- Understanding of the latest content trends and technologies, including content management systems like WordPress, Social Media and SEO best practices
- Past work in breaking news is a plus
To apply, go here.