Forbes seeks assistant editor for media and entertainment
Forbes Media seeks an Assistant Editor to support the Forbes Media & Entertainment section in our Jersey City, NJ, office. Assistant Editors are the linchpin of the Forbes newsroom. They work at the intersection of editorial (staff writers, editors and outside contributors) and internal teams within Forbes: audience development, social media, live events, sales optimization, product and development.
This candidate will be assigned to Hollywood and entertainment and its intersection with business, working collaboratively with editorial (editors, staff writers and outside contributors) and internal teams including social, product, analytics and live events.
- Work on front lines of editorial coverage. Read and edit (as appropriate) the content stream on the channel and overall site and monitoring any issues with the CMS
- Assist editors to find, recruit, and set up new contributors. Train and support contributors on how to use and optimize Forbes publishing tools.
- Stay up to date with happenings in Hollywood and the entertainment industry; monitor breaking news and must-read sites, social streams, trade press and more.
- Collaborate with editors to find original angles to news and enterprise stories; follow up with reporting and writing stories or pitching stories to contributors.
- Participate in larger Forbes projects, including 30 Under 30 and Celebrity 100 lists as a reporter and writer. Ideal candidate is expected to pitch, write regular stories for the site and/or magazine.
- Member of fact checking pool for the magazine.
- Maintain and grow the @ForbesShowbiz Twitter account and work with the social team to promote channel stories.
- Work with audience development and other internals teams monitor optimize traffic.
- Create original content for Forbes platforms outside the site, including social media, podcasts and newsletters, as well as live events.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 6 months to 1 year of relevant work or internship experience in digital journalism or related field. Editing experience at college publication is a plus, as is writing experience.
- Hands-on experience with CMS, analytics, G Suite/Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Obsessed with all-things media and entertainment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently when required while at the same time operate efficiently in a team dynamic
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a keen eye for detail
To apply, go here.