Forbes Media seeks an Assistant Editor to support the Forbes Industry section in our Jersey City, NJ, office. Assistant Editors are the linchpin of the Forbes newsroom.
They work at the intersection of editorial (staff writers, editors and outside contributors) and internal teams within Forbes: audience development, social media, live events, sales optimization, product and development.
- Work on front lines of editorial coverage. Monitor and edit (as appropriate) the content stream in the section, overall site and any issues with the CMS
- Assist editors to find, recruit, and set up new contributors. Train and support contributors on how to use and optimize Forbes publishing tools.
- Stay on cutting edge of ideas and advice for leaders, including strategies and innovations; monitor breaking news and must-read sites, social streams, trade press and more.
- Collaborate with editors to find original angles to news and enterprise stories; follow up with reporting and writing stories or pitching stories to contributors.
- Participate in larger Forbes projects as a researcher, reporter and writer. Ideal candidate is expected to pitch, write regular stories for the site and/or magazine. Member of fact checking pool for the magazine.
- Create special reports/landers for business-focused sections as well as magazine and digital-first features. Editorial support for section or newsroom-wide projects, including 30 Under 30,
- Work with audience development and other internal teams to monitor and optimize traffic.
- Help create original content for Forbes platforms outside the site, including social media, podcasts and newsletters, as well as live events.
- Update channel and section pages to keep them fresh and interesting. Update home page when required. Create photo galleries for stories and special reports/landers.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 6 months to 1 year of relevant work or internship experience in digital journalism or related field. Editing experience at college publication is a plus, as is writing experience.
- Hands-on experience with CMS, analytics, G Suite/Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Obsessed with all thing business, particularly the auto and energy sectors
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently when required while at the same time operate efficiently in a team dynamic
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a keen eye for detail
To apply, go here.