Forbes Media seeks an assistant editor to support the Forbes SportsMoney, Esports/Gaming beats in our Jersey City, NJ, office.
This is a junior position appropriate for candidates with a background or interest in the business of sports and esports and a demonstrable foundation in reporting, writing and multimedia journalism. Assistant Editors are the linchpin of the Forbes newsroom. This candidate will be assigned to sports and gaming content, working at the intersection of editorial (editors, staff writers and outside contributors) and internal teams including social, product and analytics. An understanding of financial reporting is a strong plus as is an interest in — and aptitude for — digital journalism and project management. This is a role that covers many elements of sports and gaming but is centrally focused on the business of both.
- Work on front lines of editorial coverage. Read and edit (as appropriate) the content stream on the channel and overall site and monitoring any issues with the CMS
- Assist editors to find, recruit and set up new contributors. Train and support contributors on how to use and optimize Forbes publishing tools.
- Stay on the cutting edge of sports business and gaming news; monitor breaking news and must-read sites, social streams, trade press and more.
- Collaborate with editors to find original angles to news and enterprise stories; follow up with reporting and writing your own stories or pitching stories to contributors.
- Participate in larger Forbes projects, including 30 Under 30, The World’s Highest-Paid Athletes, SportsMoney Index and other athlete earnings lists as a reporter and writer.
- Member of fact-checking pool for the magazine.
- Work with audience development and other internals teams to monitor and optimize traffic.
- Create original content for Forbes platforms outside the site, including social media, podcasts and newsletters, as well as live events.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 6 months to 1 year of relevant work or internship experience in digital journalism or related field. Editing experience at college publication is a plus, as is writing experience
- Top candidates have experience working at a journalistic publication and/or published articles in sports or esports beat with a focus on business.
- Hands-on experience with CMS, analytics, G Suite/Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Understanding and interest in the business of sports and gaming
- Strong Excel skills and ability to analyze numbers and figures for sports franchises
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently when required while at the same time operating efficiently in a team dynamic
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a keen eye for detail
To apply, go here.