Forbes seeks a deputy editor for business
Forbes Media seeks a Deputy Editor to oversee our expanding newsroom in Business coverage. This is a terrific opportunity for a digital-first journalist who wants to work on the front line of our news coverage and who can make big things happen in an organization that champions the entrepreneurial spirit and drive.
The Deputy Editor will work directly with the Assistant Managing Editors, reporters, assistant and social editors, and more. You will be a newsroom leader for our stable of topic-expert contributors.
The Deputy Business Editor will supervise contributors focused on consumer beats, including real estate, retail, food & drink, sports, gaming, and media and entertainment.
Potential candidates will have a strong sense of industry trends, stories and agendas—what’s hot and what’s important, with an interest in chasing news developments with a business-savvy Forbes angle. Excellent editorial judgment and communication are key, plus the ability to help run a fast-paced newsroom while motivating your team and contributors to do their best work.
A collaborative mindset and excellent communication skills are musts, plus an eagerness to juggle efficient workflow with journalistic thinking and creative insights. No two days will be the same: from recruiting contributors to monitoring breaking news and traffic trends to writing newsletters and your own stories or larger Forbes packages such as 30 Under 30 or Next Billion-Dollar Startups.
Ideally, a qualified candidate will have:
- Five or more years’ experience working in and, ideally, managing an online newsroom.
- Proven ability in recruiting and overseeing freelance writers.
- Exceptional news judgment and an ability to find distinctive, business-oriented angles within your topic area.
- Great line editing and headline writing skills.
- Familiarity with CMS, online metrics and audience tracking systems.
- Passion for creating engaging interactive content and comfort working with text, photos, video, graphics and more.
- Superior energy, imagination, and resourcefulness.
- Robust spirit of a natural team leader and the interpersonal skills of a diplomat.
To apply, go here.