The Food & Environment Reporting Network is seeking an editor-in-chief.
FERN is preparing for the next stage in its evolution and is looking for a new leader to chart its path editorially. Core to FERN’s success has been its ability to adapt to a fast-changing media landscape, building a model that reaches online, print and audio audiences through extensive media partnerships. We want this pace of innovation to continue with a forward-looking strategist, one who could inspire, lead and develop new avenues for FERN’s growth. The ideal candidate will be versed in the media landscape — in print, audio or digital — and adept at navigating within it, with the autonomy and flexibility that comes from leading a small and nimble organization. They will head our award-winning team to produce high-impact investigative and explanatory journalism, influencing the conversation on food, agriculture, climate change and environmental justice. They will work closely with FERN’s executive director to chart the company’s future strategy and products, and they will be a strong and empathic leader, managing FERN’s editorial staff, emphasizing diversity among staff and freelancers, and overseeing all matters related to content production, including the editorial budget.
FERN produces the bulk of its content in partnership with other media outlets. The EiC will work with the FERN team to manage these existing partnerships and explore new ones to expand FERN’s reach. Although FERN has primarily focused on investigative and explanatory journalism online and in print, it has increased its presence in audio, producing an award-winning podcast and also short- and long-form projects in partnership with public radio outlets and shows. In addition, FERN publishes a paid subscription product, the Ag Insider, which details policy developments in Washington, D.C., and in state governments, and serves as a specialized news service. Although we would welcome a leader with a background in journalism in our core area of food, agriculture and the environment, it is not a requirement for this position. Rather, we are looking for a talented team leader with strong editorial instincts who could leverage the knowledge we already have in-house and extend it, through partnerships, investigations and other initiatives. This is a full-time, remote position with benefits. FERN is a virtual organization and the FERN team is predominantly based in the Eastern Time zone
- 7-10 years of experience in journalism, or the equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an editorial team.
- Experience developing and managing projects, including longform text and/or audio investigations and series.
- Ability to locate and manage a diverse pool of freelance writers and/or producers.
- Demonstrated success in producing content.
- Experience working with editorial partners, or the equivalent, on collaborative projects.
- Ability to be the public face of the organization through interviews, events and other public appearances.
- A background in environmental reporting, with specialization in food and agriculture.
- A background in investigative journalism.
- Experience producing breaking news.
For further information click here.