The Pensacola News Journal is an award-winning newspaper that is part of the USA Today Network and the leader in delivering engaging news and information.
We are looking for a creative go-getter with sharp analytical skills to cover our diverse business community. We aren’t all about the beaches, or the tourism industry, in Northwest Florida. From research and health care to a burgeoning aerospace and tech scene, the beat requires initiative, aggressive reporting, flexibility and critical thinking. Candidates for our Economic Development Reporter position should also have investigative and database skills and the ability to write succinct, creative articles.
In this role, you will:
- Use multimedia storytelling tools on tight deadlines, in a fast-paced environment, for our print and digital platforms.
- Develop high-impact stories that are tailored to individual audiences.
- Collaborate and connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Work with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for the story (i.e. photos, videos and graphics), capturing basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary. Reporters are regularly called on to shoot and edit video, participate in social media strategies and understand how to promote themselves and their content across platforms.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field.
- Strong background in creating content for mobile and digital audiences, to include video, social media and podcast experience.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams.
- Creativity to generate own story ideas and build a loyal audience.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Self-motivation and self-direction; know how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communication skills; able to get along with diverse personalities, with an advanced knowledge of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Three to five years of experience covering business with knowledge of digital platforms.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage
- Life insurance
- 401(K) saving plan
- Paid time off
- Paid company holidays
- Paid time off to volunteer in the community
- Employee discount program
Email your resume and examples of your work to executive editor Lisa Nellessen-Lara at firstname.lastname@example.org.