Fierce Biotech is looking for a reporter to deliver daily news and a steady flow of features that put the news in context for our readers. This beat focuses on early drug research and biotech, the most fascinating science and clinical studies that are driving the next wave of drug development.
The ideal candidate excels not only at building sources and breaking news, but at digging into the why and how behind the daily stories. Our readers are savvy and well-informed, and they look to us for perspective and insights they cannot get elsewhere.
This person will also have a strong commitment to editorial quality and ethics, a passion for diving deep into the subjects they cover, and the desire to have a little fun with what they do.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write daily news stories and longer-form stories.
- Develop the beat and a range of sources at research institutions, companies, regulatory agencies and among industry experts and analysts.
- Mine government databases, court documents, securities filings and other public sources for hidden stories.
- Brainstorm and bring to life features that help Fierce Biotech interact with and engage our dedicated community of readers
- Contribute to our podcasts and video reporting
- Monitor social media and news sites for breaking stories, and post and interact on those platforms.
- Cover key events and industry conferences
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 1 year experience in a newsroom, preferably covering the pharmaceutical industry, but other business reporting experience also works.
- Degree in journalism, communications, English or another writing-intensive major, or industry-relevant field such as business or pre-med
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style
- Competitive spirit and desire to scoop the competition
- Most importantly, a positive attitude, “Fierce” work ethic, and desire to work on a winning team of journalists who pride themselves on delivering business news in a fresh, relatable way
Come join a talented group of writers and editors who enjoy their work—and working together. We think we’re fielding the best team we’ve ever had, and we want you to be part of it.
Submit a résumé, cover letter and five published clips, including features and deadline news to our editor in chief, Tracy Staton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.