Duluth News Tribune seeks business and health industry reporter
As the Duluth News Tribune’s business and health industry reporter, you’d be reporting on stories ranging from local business trends to enterprises stories with depth and meaning. On the lighter side, you might check with local breweries (the Northland has a lot of them) to see which taps are most in-demand with tourists this season – and how much is sold in the taproom versus crowlers or growlers. For depth, you could dive into a from-the-ground-up piece on how the $1 billion-plus investment Duluth’s two hospitals have planned over the next several years will change some of our neighborhoods.
There would also be considerable opportunity to dive into our evolving industrial sector. Manufacturing makes up a small part of workforce employment, but brings in considerable international shipping and trade.
SUMMARY: Responsible for collecting ideas, gathering facts, analyzing and reviewing data and ideas in order to produce content on multiple platforms. This position may be assigned to one or more departments within the newsroom.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives assignments and develops own ideas into relevant news content.
- Gathers verifies and provides information for stories through interviews, observations and research.
- Organizes material, determines focus and writes stories according to editorial style and format standards, for multiple platforms.
- Builds rapport and stays attuned to local, regional and state issues, attends local and regional board meetings.
- Collaborates with the newsroom’s visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best possible way.
- May be responsible for editing of stories.Incorporates multimedia aspects such as video, audio, and photography in all stories.
- Contributes to the website by planning online components for stories, writing online stories and composing additional content; may be responsible for blog content.
- Candidates should have a strong foundation in data reporting.
- Most major projects are collaborative enterprises involving anywhere from 6 -12 members of the newsroom, including reporters, photographers, editors and graphic designers. As such, a strong desire to work as a team is critical.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communication or a related field.
- Professional experience writing, AP style preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories.
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Computer skills in word processing and content management systems.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, maintain confidentiality, balance demands, set priorities and manage multiple issues/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of AP Style, Freedom of Information Act and libel laws.
- Knowledge of video and camera equipment and ability to edit photos.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to effectively present information to employees, management and/or groups.
- Ability to promote teamwork, interdepartmental cooperation and motivate others.