dotLA seeks a science and tech reporter
dot.LA is the premier source of news and information for the Los Angeles technology and startup community. Launched in January 2020, dot.LA has quickly built a sizable audience and become a go-to source for the city’s rapidly growing community of builders, funders and innovators. At present, dot.LA’s newsroom includes seven journalists as well as events, video and podcast professionals.
We’re hiring a reporter to focus on the region’s burgeoning biotech, robotics, aerospace and related industries.
The ideal candidate will artfully turn technical subject matter into compelling stories, dig out cutting-edge developments and probe the ethical and business implications of these technologies. This successful candidate will cultivate sources that can help tell the essential stories on everything from brain interface and AI- supported medicine to the next mission to Mars. He or she is a science reporter at heart with a business journalist’s sensibility.
We are not interested in writing up press releases, following the crowd or waiting for direction. We’re looking for a self-starter that can set agendas, spot the next trend, call out suspect practices and advance the discussion.
The reporter’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Covering the exponential growth of L.A.’s biotech, robotics and aerospace industries with an understanding of the crucial issues, competitors and impact they’ll have on the city and beyond.
- Identifying and executing on news coverage: breaking, features, and special projects
- Ability to quickly produce story and social assets including canva cards, charts, tables and other graphics
The successful candidate will likely, but not necessarily, have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of reporting experience, preferably covering technology, aerospace and/or biotech
- 3+ years of experience writing for a digital audience and using social media
- Excellent interpersonal skills
This is a full-time position with benefits, working remotely for the time being.
Please email a resume and cover letter to our audience team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should outline your coverage interests, as well as examples of past work. We regret that we cannot respond to all applicants. No phone calls, please.