The Des Moines Register /desmoinesregister.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and a Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization, seeks an aggressive, digitally savvy multimedia journalist who is eager to gather and deliver news through text, photos and video on a wide variety of stories.
- The Reporter Will Have a Multifaceted Mission
- Covering breaking news, going out in the field to interviews victims and witnesses on the scene of major crimes or disasters
- Covering trending news, verifying and curating the news Iowans are talking about on the internet
- With that work and with other assigned stories, creating content for social media, such as shooting vertical video, creating reels and building social cards
- Handle general assignments, including teaming with other Des Moines Register staffers on swarming the biggest news of the day
- This reporter will generally work a morning and early afternoon shift and one weekend day
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers
- Use sites such as Google Trends and platforms such as Crowdtangle and Dataminr to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations
- Shoot compelling photos and video; seek out and secure compelling photos, graphics and video produced by others and secure permission to use them
- Produce content in alternative forms — listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest
- This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top of our pageview charts each day
- Previous experience as a reporter or content producer and video editing skills are required
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous professional journalism experience as a reporter and content producer
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video and file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law
We are eager to learn more about you and how you would fit this role.
- Your resume, one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach this job.
- Links to six samples of your work.
For more details click here.