The Denver Post, which is part of the MediaNews Group, seeks a business reporter.
About the job
- Develop news sources and look for and create news story ideas in coordination with assignment editor
- Research, observe surroundings and conduct interviews over the telephone and in person to gather pertinent information for news stories.
- interact with colleagues in a professional manner.
- Organize information and write an accurate, clear, interesting and grammatically correct story while meeting deadlines. Produce stories of varying complexity and form.
- Seek out and report news for immediate publication on the Post’s digital platforms or for print publications.
- Discuss story formulation with editors and edit or rewrite stories, as necessary.
- Develop sources and check with them on a regular basis to break exclusive news.
- Use digital tools and social media to report and promote Denver Post material.
- Understand and implement SEO techniques to ensure content reaches largest online audience. Stay abreast of latest trends.
- Create and curate content for a dynamic web presence.
- Request appropriate photos, video and graphics for stories; work closely with visual journalists to provide clear explanations of assignments. Shoot photos and videos when necessary and transmit them promptly for digital publication.
Physical Working Conditions
- Stand 25%, walk 25%, sit 25%, drive 25% of shift
- Enter stories on various systems, including laptop and desktop computers and handheld devices approximately 50% of shift.
- Travel to and meet with individuals on the scene.
- Take notes while interviewing news sources (both over the telephone and in person)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Basic photo and video skills.
- Basic understanding of standard curation techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media tools
- Strong reporting and writing skills
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly to meet deadlines
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to travel to report events
- Prior newspaper experience preferred.
To apply, go here.