The Denver Business Journal is looking for a reporter to join our newsroom.
The ideal candidate brings exceptional journalism skills including source-building, sharp news judgment and analytical and investigative reporting experience.
This reporter will produce articles accompanied by perspective and context for a vibrant audience of entrepreneurs, business owners, executives and professionals in one of the nation’s most vibrant economic regions.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. They are expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beats; use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement.
We expect this reporter to go well beyond the press releases, news conferences and obvious stories to break news and explore the big-picture trends impacting the business community in the Denver area — positively and negatively.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record and enthusiasm for balancing daily and long-term assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three years of reporting experience.
- Proven experience building, maintaining an active audience and a strong source base.
- Knowledge of business principles is essential.
- Proven excellence and coachability in reporting and writing.
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
- Strong analytical and investigative interviewing skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online.
- Drive to develop sources and build an audience.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Denver community experience is a plus.
- Comfort with on-stage or on-camera presentations is helpful.
To apply, go here.