Dayton Biz Journal seeks a manufacturing and health care reporter
The Dayton Business Journal is looking for a reporter to cover manufacturing, health care and higher education.
We need a competitive, self-starter who can marry with strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – and deep digital and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for an elite audience of business owners, executives and professionals.
Covering manufacturing in Dayton means digging into companies big and small, local and global, to break news on some of the most important employers in the region. Add to that a thriving health care and higher ed industries, along with a handful of other things to keep an eye on, and this is a plum beat for a reporter who likes to break news.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online, in email and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beat(s); use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and on video
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• Minimum of 3 years of reporting experience.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Reporting experience in the region a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, go here: https://bit.ly/3mgwJCq