Dallas Morning News seeks a residential real estate reporter
The Dallas Morning News is searching for a high-energy, scoop-oriented reporter to cover residential real estate in one of the nation’s fastest-growing metropolitan markets.
How will you know if this beat is for you?
You’re the right fit if you can’t consume enough news about today’s hot housing and rental markets and the demographic shifts that result from where people buy homes or rent apartments.
You’re suited for this job if you’re excited about the prospect of reporting on the nation’s largest homebuilder, the nation’s largest supplier to the homebuilding industry, and the biggest and most active real estate firms shaping our communities for years to come.
You’re perfect for this beat if you’re off the charts in the following ways:
- Your sense of urgency is perpetually set on hyperdrive.
- You possess an appreciation for nurturing the daily reading habits of a highly engaged audience that visits our website on a regular basis.
- You’re skilled at quickly turning smart and topical stories.
- You have the range to go deep on medium- and long-term enterprise while balancing the daily demands of a 24/7 website.
- You’ve proven your skill in building a strong source network that’s a must for delivering the exclusives and connect-the-dots stories that our digital audience expects of us.
In this role, you’ll find yourself writing about community flareups over land use, the sale of iconic Texas ranches and mansions, the pandemic’s effects on renters and evictions, the fascinating personalities of buyers, builders, and brokers, the large national trends playing out locally and the northward push of development in a metro market that now totals 7.6 million people — the fourth largest in the country.
And you’ll be working alongside our veteran real estate editor whose work perennially leads our newsroom in digital subscriptions. You’ll be insatiably curious about how he does it and the traps he regularly checks to find scoops that are unrivaled in our very competitive market for real estate news.
Previous real estate or business reporting experience is required.
To apply, send clips, resume and a description about how you’d cover the beat to business editor Paul O’Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org.