Crain’s New York seeks a senior reporter
Crain’s New York Business is seeking a highly motivated journalist to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate has business-writing experience, a strong sense of curiosity, asks questions that editors hadn’t thought of and makes researched story pitches every week.
A senior reporter generates weekly print and daily digital stories based on the news of the day and broader trends in metro-area business. This is a full-time position in our Midtown office. Candidates with experience writing business news, including about real estate, technology, entrepreneurship, finance and government/policy are encouraged to apply.
- Develop and manage core beat coverage by producing smart and serious news intelligence
- Generate feature-length news and analysis stories for weekly print publication on trends and innovations affecting the New York City business community
- Cover breaking news in the field and through independent reporting; maintain strong, foundational understanding of important topics and players in the local business community
- Contribute daily news items for morning and afternoon newsletters
- 5-plus years’ experience writing news stories in a newsroom or as a freelancer
- Strong interviewing, reporting and editing skills
- Ability to generate engaging headlines for newsletters and print
- A keen eye for detail and ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Ability to work with others, under pressure, in a spirit of camaraderie
- Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to deliver clean, grammatical copy on tight deadline
- Clips of published material
- Experience covering New York business, real estate, neighborhoods, policy, finance, technology, small business or media
- Familiarity with Crain’s New York Business coverage and style
- Experience with live interviews and/or moderation of events and forums
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
To apply, go here.