Crain’s New York seeks a reporter
Crain’s New York Business is seeking a highly motivated journalist to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate has business-writing experience, a strong sense of curiosity, asks questions that editors hadn’t thought of and makes researched story pitches every week.
Our reporters generate weekly print and daily digital stories based on the news of the day and broader trends in metro-area business. This is a full-time position in our Midtown office. Candidates with experience writing business news, including about real estate, technology, entrepreneurship, finance and government/policy are encouraged to apply.
- Develop and manage core beat coverage by producing smart and serious news intelligence
- Generate feature-length news and analysis stories for weekly print publication on trends and innovations affecting the New York City business community
- Cover breaking news in the field and through independent reporting; maintain strong, foundational understanding of important topics and players in the local business community
- Contribute daily news items for morning and afternoon newsletters
- 5-plus years’ experience writing news stories in a newsroom or as a freelancer
- Strong interviewing, reporting and editing skills
- Ability to generate engaging headlines for newsletters and print
- A keen eye for detail and ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Ability to work with others, under pressure, in a spirit of camaraderie
- Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to deliver clean, grammatical copy on tight deadline
- Clips of published material
- Experience covering New York business, real estate, neighborhoods, policy, finance, technology, small business or media
- Familiarity with Crain’s New York Business coverage and style
- Experience with live interviews and/or moderation of events and forums
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
To apply, go here.