The individual is part of a two-person reporting team that produces the digital newsletter Health Pulse Monday through Friday, reporting on the business of health care in the York market and covering policy decisions from Albany and Washington D.C. that affect local health systems, nonprofits, insurers, health startups and clinicians.
In addition to daily breaking news coverage for Pulse, the reporter will also be responsible for writing for the Crain’s New York Business website and for our print weekly, both feature-length articles and shorter upfront pieces—mostly about health care but there is an opportunity to write on other topics on occasion. At least twice a year, the reporter will also participate in planning and moderating health care events that draw large audiences. A growing component of the job involves reporting on the burgeoning startup communities in digital health and biotech.
We are a small team that works closely together and communicates throughout the day with each other. There is ample opportunity to be mentored for longer form features from experienced editors.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of experience in a professional newsroom
- The ideal candidate has some knowledge of business reporting and the health care industry.
- A facile writer and strong reporter who can successfully juggle daily news requirements with producing longer-form articles on a regular basis
- An enthusiastic self-starter who is bubbling with good story ideas but is also a good team player
- Link to online portfolio or sample of recent and relevant work.
- A demonstrated interest in writing about the health care economy, everything from major health systems to startups in digital health and biotech.
- Experience reporting for health care trade publications or working as a health care beat reporter for a general interest publication. Alternatively, a track record producing strong articles on health care topics as either a freelancer or staff reporter.
- Experience and/or interest in developing public speaking skills, as the team conducts interviews and moderates panels for our events.
- Conference planning experience would be a bonus.
- Experience using social media to promote the team’s stories.
To apply, go here.