Crain’s New York Business is seeking a highly motivated business journalist with digital news experience to join our breaking news team. The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of curiosity that drives them to ask questions editors hadn’t thought of and the same drive compels them to bring several researched story pitches to the editors each week.
Journalist will also be able generate multiple digital stories daily based on the news of the day and compile content from Crain’s and other major news sites to generate a daily AM newsletter covering the top NY-area business stories. The candidate should also have an understanding of essential website management responsibilities, such as working in a CMS, writing headlines and SEO heads, placing stories and ensuring the website is refreshed throughout the day.
This is a full time role located in our New York office, requiring an early morning start time of 6:00am. Candidates with experience writing general business news, including real estate, technology, entrepreneurship, finance and government/policy affecting business are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Supplement core beat coverage by producing smart and serious news intelligence, largely through mining press releases, public records, news conferences, and other local and national media sources to generate content
- Cover big, breaking news in the field and through smart aggregation of other platforms and sources. Should be able to write a few grafs to blast, and then follow up with write-throughs that add context and outside voices
- Post wire stories and update homepage
- Schedule social media posts
- Assist deploying 7:30 am newsletter
- 2-3 years experience writing breaking news stories in a newsroom or freelance
- Evidence of strong interviewing, reporting and editing skills
- Ability to generate engaging headlines for newsletters and website in a timely manner
- Demonstrate a keen eye for detail and a great ability to keep organized while juggling multiple responsibilities
- Available to work shift starting at 6 am Monday-Friday
- Ability to work with others, under pressure, in a spirit of generosity
- A self-starter and independent thinker
- Strong grammatical skills, with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit
- Experience covering New York business, real estate, community issues, policy, finance, technology, small business or media
- An obvious familiarity with CrainsNewYork.com: what and who we cover
- Links to writing examples
- Experience with databases, visualization tools and web design
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
To apply, go here.