Crain’s Detroit seeks research and data editor
Crain’s Detroit Business, Southeast Michigan’s leading weekly business publication for upper-level executives and business owners, is seeking a Research & Data Editor, an information champion, to help tell data-based stories in print and on the Web.
The position entails the collection of information for industry lists for publication and sale and the annual Book of Lists, plus database management with an eye toward creating new products.
The most important quality a candidate must have is a strong understanding of what data means and the stories it can tell and be excited to become an active part of a newsroom. The job takes place in a fast-paced environment and requires the ability to meet weekly deadlines and manage multiple projects at various stages of completion. Candidate needs to be organized, curious, detail-oriented and creative.
Candidates from a variety of backgrounds will be considered.
Description of duties and responsibilities:
• Gather and compile business statistics and information for publication from businesses and other outside data sources
• Survey companies via email using DataJoe to help generate list content. Background in database management needed; training on DataJoe will be provided.
• Maintain various Excel- and Access-based databases
• Display data visually through programs such as Tableau and Google Fusion Tables
• Maintain systems for updating data throughout the year through careful reading of Crain’s Detroit Business, www.crainsdetroit.com and other sources.
• Assist reporters and editors with data research requests; also some marketing projects
• Confirm the accuracy of information submitted
• Develop new uses/products for data
To apply, go here.