Crain’s Detroit seeks an assistant managing editor
Crain’s Detroit Business seeks an assistant managing editor. The right candidate will have strong digital editing skills, a track record of overseeing big stories and comfort in shifting between daily breaking news and a weekly print edition. This editor will manage a high-producing team of reporters, assigning and editing breaking stories and enterprise with a premium on scoops and news our business audience can’t get elsewhere. We’re looking for leaders who are collaborative, flexible and eager to innovate as we navigate a hybrid work environment.
- Assigning and editing stories for news-oriented business publication; publishing copy to Web, mobile app and email newsletter platforms; and some social media posting.
- Working with reporters to recognize and develop breaking news and deep enterprise that gets results.
- Managing special projects as assigned.
- Maintaining weekly and longer-term coverage plans and story budgets.
- Coordinating staff reporters, freelancers, photographers and digital producers to appropriately package stories for maximum impact.
Basic Qualifications Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of journalism experience, including reporting, editing, headline writing, and publishing to web in a deadline-driven newsroom.
- Experience managing staff and freelancers.
- Strong macro-level editing skills: context, structure, pacing; and micro-level editing skills: facts, aesthetics, tone, voice, clarity.
- Strong writing and editing skills with an eye for the big picture and an ear for fine details.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to work out of Detroit newsroom as needed, currently several days per week.
- Occasional night and weekend work, typically done remotely, is required.
- Online portfolio or links to recent and relevant work.
- Past editorial management experience and business journalism experience.
- Experience in both print and digital formats a plus.
- Ability to think outside of the box and offer new ideas.
- Proficiency in social media
- Comfort with occasional speaking appearances at Crain’s events or in other media.
To apply, go here.