Crain’s Detroit seeks a reporter
Crain’s Detroit Business is looking for an experienced reporter who can break news and write analytical and enterprising news stories, features and special reports for our weekly issue and website.
We’re looking for a reporter to cover metro Detroit’s fast-growing finance and technology scenes – breaking news and offering insight on brand-name companies like Quicken Loans, a growing stable of “unicorn” companies, the burgeoning fintech industry and the vibrant startup scenes in Ann Arbor, downtown Detroit, and elsewhere in the region.
The candidate should be adept at developing sources and sensing news before the competition and should also be a fluid writer. We want someone who is a self-starter and prefer someone who knows Detroit business.
We offer a collegial, flexible and fun workplace environment, competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to create journalism with impact and influence.
- Generate story ideas and identify trends in finance and technology, including Venture Capital and Private Equity and the companies financed by those sources.
- Report and write for print and web, juggle multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Develop deep contact lists and sourcing at the companies covered
- Become an established expert on multiple beats
- Play well with others, collaborate in reporting teams
- Bring energy and enthusiasm to the newsroom
- Occasionally tackle story ideas off the assigned beat
- Bachelor’s degree business, journalism, communication or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of journalism experience
- Proven track record of breaking news
- Experience in Business journalism
- Professional presentation
- Effective written and verbal skills
- Fluency in social media
- Ability to read financial reports and filings
- Must submit at least three (3) links to writing examples
- Experience covering business news
To apply, go here.