Crain’s Detroit seeks a breaking news reporter
Crain’s Detroit Business is hiring a highly motivated news enthusiast with a digital-first mindset. This aggressive and assertive team journalists will:
- Supplement core beat coverage by producing smart and serious news intelligence, largely through mining press releases, public records, news conferences, and other local and national media sources.
- Cover big breaking news in the field and through smart aggregation of other platforms and sources.
- Maintain Crain’s mission and sensibility, which is to produce smart and serious news intelligence for business and political leaders throughout southeast Michigan.
- Other assignments as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Policy or related field
- Minimum of one year of professional experience, including paid and non-paid internships in a newsroom.
- An enthusiasm for learning and adapting to constant change.
- An ability to work with others, under pressure, in a spirit of generosity.
- A self-starter and independent thinker.
- Strong grammatical skills, with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit.
- Demonstrated experience writing and/or editing for a publication or platform.
- A demonstrated ability to work across platforms, including video, photo and audio.
- A demonstrated involvement and prowess in social media, including using it for both sourcing and reporting, and as a platform for your own brand.
- Online / digital portfolio showcasing work experience and work samples
- Experience with databases, visualization tools and web design.
- Knowledge of HTML.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas.
To apply, go here.