Crain’s Cleveland Business, Northeast Ohio’s premier source of business news, is searching for a Web Editor to lead us in our own little digital news revolution.
We’re looking for the sort of journalist who is just as eager to buy the Sunday New York Times as he or she is to buy a domain name.
Our web editor will oversee all content across digital platforms, including web, mobile and tablet. The position requires an experienced, nimble, hands-on editor with an eye for accuracy.
This person should also possess the ability to see the big picture and strategize on overall direction of content for Crain’s Cleveland Business. He or she will have strong news judgment and a natural ability to use digital and/or web-based tools to take articles, data and more and enhance them and package them into must-view content.
The web editor will also embrace the role of being air-traffic controller with our online content, deciding what lands where and how things will be presented, all to maximize the audience for our excellent journalism.
Editorial experience, familiarity with content management systems, social media platforms and analytics are a must. Also desired: an understanding of HTML and CSS, multimedia editing programs, database management, interactive graphics and search engine optimization.
He or she will be a team player, have a rucksack of great ideas and the ability to make them happen. He or she will be organized, driven and not just be willing but eager to try new things and experiment with telling stories in different and unique ways.
- Manage daily news for crainscleveland.com, working in concert with reporters and editors in the newsroom as well as interns and freelancers.
- Plan, direct and edit content for the daily morning and afternoon newsletters, and work with other editors and reporters on the more targeted and niche newsletters.
- Monitor daily web analytics, paying attention to user experience and trends.
- Manage the social media strategy, working with other staffers to develop alternate editorial delivery platforms for breaking news, building community and delivering multimedia in device-friendly ways
- Manage the community aspects of the website, including bloggers, commenters and social media participants
- Enhance the daily and weekly news content with links, embeds, photos and other elements
- Work with the special sections editor to develop presentations that are appropriate for digital platforms.
- Work with the executive and managing editors to develop appropriate strategies for the newsroom.
- Work with newsroom editors to establish processes for creating and adapting multimedia and interactive graphics for a digital audience.
- Work with digital strategy manager to develop processes and digital-first strategies that ensure digital platforms are foremost in the news-planning process.
- Maintain production responsibility for user-generated content on the site.
Click here to apply directly.