Crain’s Chicago seeks a business and politics reporter
Crain’s Chicago Business is seeking an experienced political reporter to tackle one of its prime coverage areas — power and influence — in a competitive market for a vitally interested business readership.
This reporter will work closely with political columnist Greg Hinz and the editors to map out Crain’s strategy for covering government, politics and the local civic and business leaders who shape policy at the city, county, state and regional level.
The reporter in this position will primarily be responsible for covering the intersection of politics and business, following the key players — both elected and unelected — whose influence and interests clash and converge in a city entering a new phase of its civic life.
The successful candidate will have a digital-first mentality and be ready to break news while also being capable of digging deep to deliver well-researched investigative stories and thoughtful analysis. Beat-reporting chops and a familiarity with the Chicago and Illinois political scene are a must. Five years of political reporting experience is desired.
- A minimum of five years of reporting experience
- Recent experience working within a major Chicago daily newsroom covering Chicago/Illinois politics
- Ability to meet deadlines and file clean, concise, and comprehensive copy on complex issues with a high degree of accuracy, balance and clarity
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be curious and able to generate enterprise ideas
- Must have attention to detail, industry knowledge and the ability to interpret data for trend stories
- Ability to work with editors to develop story ideas and deliver them on time while keeping in close touch with editors about developments on the beat
- Ability to digest large amounts of information, “see the story,” and execute with urgency as needed
- Must demonstrate an ability to mine legislation and regulatory filings for incisive stories
- Minimum of three recent clips demonstrating political coverage of Chicago/Illinois
To apply, go here.