CoStar seeks a senior staff writer in Chicago
As a CoStar Senior News Staff Writer, you will be responsible for reporting and writing about commercial real estate in Chicago, one of North America’s biggest markets. We are seeking a sure-footed self-starter who can regularly deliver scoops and enterprise about the people, properties and trends that animate this sprawling cultural center and its retail, office, industrial and apartment sectors. This is a high-profile, lively beat, with lots of competition, so we have a strong preference for a journalist experienced in real estate or business topics who can help readers understand how the city is changing and where its future lies. You’ll have an opportunity to carve out a beat based on your news judgment and interests, writing stories that reach our international audience.
CoStar News is the go-to source for commercial real estate industry news, delivering timely stories that help our readers stay informed. We publish breaking news and analysis of the latest deals, major transactions, and promotions across numerous markets worldwide. The team is made up of journalists from outlets including The Washington Post, Bloomberg and the Chicago Tribune.
The news division provides independent, impartial coverage that applies the highest journalistic standards and ethics to its work. The news team has been recognized with regional and national awards for its journalism. With a subscription-based business model, our newsroom also offers the financial stability desired by many journalism professionals while still providing a fast-paced breaking news environment.
The news coverage is available to subscribers of CoStar Group, the world’s leading provider of information and marketing solutions for the commercial real estate industry. CoStar Group continues to win global recognition, including as a Forbes most innovative company (2017) and as one of Fortune’s fastest-growing companies (2020). CoStar is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market, with a market value of more than US$30 billion, alongside other notable names such as Amazon, Facebook, Alphabet and Apple.
- Demonstrate an ability to break news and produce engaging features and trend stories for an audience of commercial real estate professionals.
- Cultivate and manage a bench of knowledgeable sources and expert contributors.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current affairs and commercial real estate news by reading key publications, looking for opportunities to help CoStar stand apart.
- Follow generally accepted journalism ethics and standards.
- Use readership and social media data to gain a better understanding of the news our readers are most interested in to help shape coverage.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, or related discipline
- 8+ years of experience reporting and writing for a daily business journal or publication
- 3+ years of experience reporting and writing within the commercial real estate or property markets
- Candidates are required to submit portfolio of work supporting this experience.
Preferred Qualifications And Skills
- Results oriented with a proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results while meeting deadlines under pressure
- Comfort with digital media, images and other visual content to accompany reports
- Proven ability to uncover breaking news
- Solid web headline and story writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a knowledge of SEO and social media best practices
- Ability to work within a collaborative environment
- Demonstrated interest in the commercial real estate industry
To apply, go here.