CoStar seeks a senior copy editor in DC
CoStar is looking for an experienced Copy Editor to join our growing news team covering the fast-paced commercial real estate industry. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group one of the top 100 fastest-growing companies in the world.
As Copy Editor, you will be a member of the team responsible for reviewing, editing and fact-checking the extensive news, expert commentary and analysis reported on CoStar.com, ensuring the news reported to our large audience of real estate investors and deal-makers throughout the U.S. and Canada is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar’s news standards and is ready for publication.
You will help establish and enforce copy and style guidelines across all editorial functions and review CoStar’s news coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style. You will also play a key role crafting headlines that are engaging, informative and inviting. In addition to extensive copy-editing, proofreading and fact-checking experience, the ideal candidate will be familiar with the range of commercial real estate property categories, major business roles and industry players to shape news intended for this specialized audience.
CoStar is expanding its news platform with the addition of several newsroom positions and additional resources to take its journalism to the next level. This is a great opportunity for an experienced, detail-oriented and highly organized Copy Editor to join CoStar’s news team based in our Washington, D.C., headquarters. Previous copy-editing newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is essential.
- Play a key role in the news-editing process by correcting grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- In addition proofreading news articles for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, the Copy Editor will review articles for readability, as well as provide feedback and suggestions to the reporter to make the article better.
- Confirm that news articles follow a style and format that meets CoStar News’ editorial policy and guidelines and that the reporter cited appropriate sources or research in news reports.
- Write headlines for news articles, proofread captions for photos and charts in news reports and check the source of images and other media included in news reports to ensure they conform to appropriate use under any copyright.
- Collaborate with the CoStar’s News team to develop story ideas, diversify coverage and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Ability to work with different reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve the news article and strengthen the reporter’s abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 plus years of proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role.
- Ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders to longer, analytic pieces.
- Ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
- Results oriented with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working under deadline.
- B2B media experience preferred.
- Excellent headline- and cutline-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a general knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage both up and down the management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree of higher required; ideally in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline.
To apply, go here.