CoStar has served as a respected source of news for the fast-paced commercial real estate industry for more than two decades.
Our award-winning, industry-focused reports inform subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group top 100 fastest growing companies in the world.
As a member of CoStar’s news team, you will play a key role in reviewing coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style, ensuring each article is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar’s news standards and is ready for publication. Drawing on your journalism background and copy-editing experience, you will lead the team that copy edits the extensive news, expert commentary and analysis reported on CoStar.com to our large audience of real estate deal-makers throughout the U.S.
CoStar is expanding our news platform with the addition of several newsroom positions and additional resources to take our journalism to the next level. This is a great opportunity for an experienced, detail-oriented and highly-organized copy editor to support CoStar’s expanding news team based in our Washington, DC headquarters. Previous copy-editing newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is a definite advantage.
· Oversee the work of a fast-paced copy desk that is producing daily stories for CoStar’s online website, email newsletters and other formats.
· Establish and maintain a CoStar stylebook for news.
· Ensure that headlines are engaging, photo captions are lively and news articles are free of spelling, grammar, punctuation and factual errors.
· Collaborate with CoStar’s News Team to develop story ideas, diversify our coverage, and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
· Work with reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve their news articles and strengthen their abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
· Proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role (min. three years.)
· Strong journalism background with proven writing and copy-editing skills, ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
· Ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability, and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
· Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
· B2B media experience preferred.
· Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
· Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
· Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline.
To apply, go here.