Consumer Reports seeks writer/editor for technology
Technology is moving so fast that new developments can be confusing for consumers to understand. Our writers and editors need to be more than just tech savvy—they need the writing talent and passion for reporting to connect our readers to the most important stories in tech in ways that are both engaging and accessible.
Writers and editors at Consumer Reports conceive and execute written stories for our print and digital platforms, and work in close partnership with our social, interactive, and video teams. Our content creators can draw on internal testing, survey, statistical, and other resources that are unique in journalism.
And armed with those resources along with old-fashioned reporting and writing skills, our writers and editors are charged with presenting the consumer angle on technology news, writing product reviews, and most of all creating top-quality service journalism that is fast, accurate, and creative.
- Under close supervision, researches, pitches, writes, reviews and enhances electronics content to be published across print, digital and video platforms.
- Follows and researches the latest electronics and digital privacy news topics, interviews expert sources externally and internally, tracks market trends and generates relevant ideas for content to be reviewed by others.
- May act as in-house electronics spokesperson or representative for media outreach, tradeshows and industry events.
- May act as on-camera electronics subject matter expert for all CR video platforms.
- Supports digital editorial team to maintain specialty products content on Consumer Reports Online.
- Creates compelling story packaging and display copy to drive reader engagement and consumer impact.
- Supports the planning and scheduling process, creates sidebars and infographics that animate stories and reports.
- Updates work prepared in one CR media format for use in another. Formats copy according to standards for quality, style and voice.
- Coordinates content along the production process, incorporating changes by related parties, copy-fitting, and conferring with art and production personnel.
- Writes headlines, subheads, captions, cover lines etc., as necessary. Prepares sourcing for fact-checking.
- Participates as a member of a cross-functional product testing and content team, conferring with other team members as necessary to ensure objectives for quality and timeliness are met.
- Meets weekly digital story production targets.
- Maintains knowledge of one or more electronics or technology product or service categories within the content group.
- Performs other duties of the department, but not those of a higher level.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least 1-3 years’ experience in writing, reporting, or editing for electronics or digital privacy on multiple platforms required. Competent in all aspects of creating accurate and compelling stories across all platforms, with a keen understanding of the socially driven landscape. Ability to generate content that attracts an audience via multiple channels. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to work in self-directed capacity and to conceive and execute compelling multimedia content. Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet rigid deadlines. Competent with page design software such as K4 and CQ as well as Microsoft Office and Google Docs highly beneficial. Ability to collect and interpret data, internal and external, to create the most accurate and in context story possible.
- Editing and Writing: Demonstrates professional-level editing and writing ability across multiple media formats. Able to edit the work of colleagues (writers and non-writers) in various stages of development.
- Consumer Focus: Proactively seeks ways to discover and incorporate consumer needs into all content development.
- Collaboration: Values the contribution of all internal resource groups (e.g. Product Intelligence, Survey, Lab Techs, etc.).
- Time Management: Demonstrates ability to accomplish tasks by established deadlines; demonstrates discipline in using time management tools and techniques; uses time efficiently to balance competing demands and priorities.
- Content Strategy: Partners with other areas to ensure content is current, of the highest quality and delivered in multiple media formats in support of the organization’s strategic goals.
To apply, go here.