Consumer Reports seeks deputy editor of special projects
Consumer Reports, one of the world’s most influential mission-driven testing and media organizations, reaches more than six million members a month through its digital and print media platforms.
We are looking for an investigative and enterprise reporter to join our award-winning journalism staff to cover marketplace inequities, including systemic failures and biases that disproportionately affect segments of consumers, particularly consumers of color, in areas of health, safety, finance, and privacy.
You’ll help conceive, produce, and edit stories that can change the marketplace, ranging from deeply reported projects to daily news pieces. Recent examples of these types of investigations include our work covering the dangers of infant sleepers and America’s water crisis, while news pieces include stories such as Facebook’s ban on hate groups as a tipping point and staying safe while protesting.
We’ve been testing and reporting on critical consumer issues since 1936, and this work matters more than ever now.
What you will do
- Create high-impact content that reaches multigenerational and multicultural audiences.
- Play a strategic role in producing story ideas that advance CR’s high-priority impact areas (Digital Rights, Financial Fairness, Safety and Sustainability)
- Tap into CR’s numerous resources including testing, survey, and statistics operations to source ideas, analyze data, and produce stories.
- Produce and edit both long-term projects and high-impact news stories.
- Help leverage CR’s work with new audiences by suggesting content for external media, social media influencers, and other channels.
- Appear on external media channels to promote content.
- May manage one or more direct reports.
- You have deep experience producing and shaping narrative, investigative, and explanatory storytelling, preferably for diverse audiences and in service of diverse communities.
- You can cultivate top-quality sources.
- You are experienced with data-driven reporting and technically grounded content.
- You are comfortable working across a matrixed organization.
To apply, go here.