Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has a mission to create a fair and just marketplace for all. Widely known for our rigorous research and testing of products and services, we also survey millions of consumers each year, report extensively on marketplace issues, and advocate for consumer rights and protections around safety, digital rights, financial fairness, and sustainability. CR is independent and nonprofit.
We’re looking for a seasoned and enthusiastic journalist/editor to cover a wide range of topics that pertain to the technology and products that impact real-world consumers. Whether writing a first look at the new Samsung Fold phones, showing people how to filter out trolls on social media, or helping consumers choose an Android tablet, you’ll combine technical insight, smart reporting, and an eagerness to collaborate with our test engineers, designers, and other writers and editors to generate attention-grabbing stories that further the organization’s mission of creating a fairer, better marketplace.
Working across all platforms (web, print, and video), this position will write both short- and long-format pieces, as well as edit contributions from other writers.
What you will do
- Edit pieces on tech products, breaking tech news, and consumer issues for our web and print platforms, and collaborate with other CR teams on video and social media projects..
- Report and write both short and long format technology pieces to be published across multiple platforms.
- Follow the news in the beats and products you cover; interview internal and external experts; track market trends; translate industry data into compelling stories that will help readers.
- Tap into CR’s numerous resources including our testing, survey, and statistics operations to develop ideas, analyze data, and produce stories.
- Serve as a key member of a cross-functional product-testing and content team.
- Work with our Communications department to represent CR as needed in response to external media requests, and serve as an on-camera subject matter expert for CR video platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven years experience covering consumer technology for broad consumer audiences
- Experience translating complex information about consumer technology into clear, well-written, and approachable content across multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the tech industry.
- Proven ability to generate and pitch original story ideas.
It’s a plus if you have:
- Expertise in crafting dazzling display copy and coordinating with designers on visual treatments across platforms.
- Experience in data journalism, and cooperating on the creation of infographics and interactive tools.
- On-camera experience.
To apply, go here.