Consumer Reports seeks a money reporter
A creative content creator conceiving of and executing a range of digital, print, social, interactive, and video content for all Consumer Reports products. With minimal supervision, REPORTS, WRITES and enhances the work of Money team, making sure stories are on-strategy, on-time, accurate, incorporate the contributions of all relevant internal resources, and are well-packaged and highly engaging. Will also assist with the generation of content ideas and manages the workflow of print, digital and video content.
This is a short-term, full-time, on-site position, ending on or about May 17, 2019.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five years of experience in multi-platform editorial for finance, business or consumer project journalism required.
- Strategic creative skills essential.
- Must be able to work in self-directed capacity and to conceive and execute compelling multimedia content.
- Can translate complex technical financial information into informative content across multiple platforms.
- Ability to manage and lead in a cross-organizational capacity required.
- A thorough knowledge of personal finance and the financial industry are preferred.
- Competent in all aspects of reviewing and creating accurate and compelling stories across all platforms.
- Skilled in collecting and interpreting all data, internal and external, to create the most accurate and in context story possible.
- Ability to smoothly transition writing styles from hard news to expository review to opinionated blog.
- Competent in editing and writing display copy, generating ideas for infographics across all media.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet rigid deadlines.
- Competency with page design software such as K4 and CQ as well as Microsoft Office and Google Docs highly beneficial.
- On-camera broadcast experience, mass media training, and a daily journalism background are preferred.
- Under general supervision generates cross-platform money content campaigns that will be published across print, digital, and video platforms; works closely with counterparts in Advocacy, Survey, Communications, Design, and other key stakeholders to maximize resources and consumer impact.
- Proactively follows and reports on money, ensuring content is relevant, timely, cutting-edge and addresses consumer needs in a proactive way. Attending trade shows and other industry events as needed.
- Acts as both in-house money spokesperson and CR money representative for media outreach, tradeshows and industry events.
- Acts as on-camera money subject-matter expert for all CR video platforms; may be asked to execute rough drafts of video scripts.
- Collects data, summarizes and interprets market information to make relevant content recommendations.
- Assists digital editorial team to maintain specialty products such as Personal Finance, Education and other regularly-updated content on Consumer Reports Online.
- Coordinates information among Money, Advocacy, Survey, Social, Communications, Design, and other organizational teams that support assigned content areas.
- Assists with the planning and scheduling process, creates sidebars, infographics that animates stories and reports.
- Moves content through the production process, incorporating changes by related parties, copy-fitting, and conferring with art and production personnel.
- Writes headlines, subheads, captions, cover lines etc., as necessary. Prepares sourcing for fact-checking.
- Collaborates with money team to create multi-media content.
- Actively participates as a member of the money product and content team, conferring with other team members as necessary to ensure objectives for quality and timeliness are met.
- May write content, as needed, across all platforms.
- Maintains high level knowledge of one or more product or service categories within the content group.
- Performs other duties of the department as needed, but not those of a higher level.
To apply, go here.