Creative story packager and skilled line editor with strong reporting training who is facile with complex topics across a range of topics.
Is able to collaborate with technical and policy experts, within a centralized content creation group matrix, where print exists in a cross-platform multimedia ecosystem.
Focuses on front of book columns and features for Consumer Reports magazine, one of the nation’s largest circulation magazines. Serves as a critical member of the editorial team for Consumer Reports magazine with specific ownership of FOB content and key features.
Works closely with the editor in chief and executive editor to develop and execute strategic direction of Consumer Reports magazine with a particular focus on integrating the new branding goals.
- Is responsible for developing, recommending, and executing editorial strategy for the front of book columns and short features, including generating strong mix of ideas across months of lineups, working with in house content experts to develop and shape content from concept to publication
- Proactively hones editorial strategy for front of book columns and features, particularly in response to branding and audience goals
- Is creative and strategic in packaging content for maximum appeal to a broad range of consumers
- Writes compelling display copy
- Develops packaging approaches that showcase the unique strengths of CR the organization, including ratings and safety initiatives
- Is facile with “service” journalism best practices and has particular skill editing highly compact, information rich content into compelling copy.
- Exercises editorial judgment in partnering with content creators to surface strong consumer information unique to CR
- On FOB stories, responsible for partnering with designers to ensure that content plan gets executed on page
- Collaborates with digital counterparts, including social and video, to align around a story’s rollout.
- Has deep understanding of reporting best practices so all stories are journalistically strong, no matter how short; is deeply committed to accuracy and context in all content at all times
- Can translate technical and scientific information into consumer-friendly language while preserving the integrity and precision of CR’s work
- Represents CRM’s interest and is a key participant in content planning meetings with peer platforms and content experts, in order to shape print presentation to maximize print reader engagement
- Contributes ideas for new columns/franchises with the strategic aim of increasing retention of newest subscriber and attracting new target audiences
- Stays current with Consumer Reports Web site content and traffic strategy, in order to better inform choices in creatively repackaging CRO ideas for print consumption; hones a strategic understanding of the ongoing relationship between the site and the magazine
- Has innate curiosity across a broad array of content areas core to CR’s work
- Performs other tasks as required
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 5-7 years of editing/writing/journalism experience, some part of which has been spent in print
- Must be highly attuned to the needs and concerns of consumers, and passionate about the ability of journalism to change the marketplace
- Strong skills in lateral thinking across content areas including safety issues, transparency & privacy, financial security, sustainability, cars and electronics
- Familiarity with K4 a plus
- Experience with data visualizations a plus
- Ability to multi-task and pitch in whatever small and large ways are required
- Anticipates impact on key audiences, encourages open debate
- Instills trust and integrity, inspires through personal conviction
- Focuses self and others on action and results
- Sees and leverages connections and interdependencies, breaks down silos, promotes collaboration and inclusion, and leverages key influencers to champion change, builds cross-functional support
- Seeks out diverse perspectives
- Responds quickly with course corrections based on CR’s best interests
- Keeps current on external trends and developments
To apply, go here.