We’re Community Journals, the company behind the Greenville Journal, Upstate Business Journal, TOWN, vive and atHome magazines. Our team is committed to telling great stories and deepening our connection with the community we serve. We are locally owned and passionate about informing, connecting, and inspiring the people of Greenville, SC. We are currently hiring for our Greenville Journal and Upstate Business Journal editorial team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Produce steady stream of content for our print, websites and social media platforms
- Stories could be “quick hits” that come from press releases or news tips, regular news pieces, profiles and features on businesses and people in the community or in-depth stories on topics that matter to Greenville and the Upstate.
- Other content will come from you being out in the community at events, city and county meetings, business mixers, etc.
Be a multimedia storyteller:
- All content should be heavily supported with photographs, video, graphics and other visual assets.
- Think outside the box. There are different ways to tell a story. Unique, visually driven approaches often work best. We value creativity.
Be a self-starter:
- Some content will be assigned, but the majority of it will be pitched, coordinated and executed by you.
- As a small team, we rely heavily on collaboration, but it is critical that you are self-motivated and grasp what makes the most engaging story/content.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, writing or a related field. Equivalent experience will also be considered.
- A passion and talent for storytelling, a strong narrative sensibility, the creativity to come up with novel new approaches, and the judgment to recognize when less is more.
- A good understanding of the community, business and broad knowledge of different industries and subjects.
- Strong attention to detail and journalistic ethics.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Knowledge of Associated Press style and media ethics.
- Ability to understand and connect with key audiences across print and digital platforms.
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video a plus as is the ability to create simple infographics.
- Familiarity with Google Trends and indicators of social media trends on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Familiarity with Google and social analytics products a plus.
- Excellent written communication ability.
- Ability to spot topics with high audience interest for local and regional market.
- Understanding of mobile-first and audience-first culture, including awareness of how today’s audiences rely on smartphones.
Please note this position is located in Greenville, South Carolina. No relocation assistance is provided.
Please send resume and examples of prior work to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details click here.