This Political Planning Editor will take primary responsibility for planning next day and future coverage of political events during the 2024 election, utilizing the resources of the political unit, national content center and affiliate content center. This person is also critically involved in implementing those plans and communicating with management, producers, photojournalists, and correspondents to ensure that all parts of the organization are aware of coverage plans.
This is a project-based position through January 31, 2025.
Your Role Accountabilities:
- Editorial Planning of Future Events: Crafts editorial plans for future political events, balancing the resources available with coverage priorities and determining the optimal assignment of editorial personnel.
- Logistical Planning of Future Events: Determines the most effective type of transmission and photojournalist resources for each event. Foresees and creatively solves logistical problems and technical issues. Ensures all teams are properly credentialed and briefed.
- Communication: Ensures coverage plans are communicated throughout the network, including teams in the field. Crafts detailed daily coverage notes.
- Coordination With Other Departments: Works closely with News Operations, bureaus and photojournalist managers to collaborate on the use of coverage resources from across the network.
- Planning During Breaking News: Responds quickly to reconfigure coverage plans in the face of breaking news and rapidly changing editorial priorities.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum three to five years in news, with previous newsroom, field producing or assignment desk experience.
- Strong editorial news judgement with a keen interest in politics.
- The ability to multitask and make quick decisions under deadline, taking into account the network’s current editorial priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to keep calm and be flexible under pressure.
- This position may require occasional early morning/late night hours and the possibility of working weekends.
- BA/BS in journalism, politics, or a related field preferred or equivalent in experience.
For further details click here.