Cincinnati Business Courier is looking for a reporter who can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – with digital and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for our influential and growing audience of business owners, executives and professionals that make up the greater Cincinnati business community.
Specifically, this reporter will cover technology and health care, two industries that are helping to drive growth in our region. Ideal coverage includes everything from scoops about established companies and startups with traction, to sophisticated analysis of the issues that affect the industries, to savvy, important coverage of the executives, ideas and characters who make them run.
A Business Journal reporter is expected to contribute both daily online posts and long-form print stories to our news products. Scoops matter. A lot.
• Report and write well on deadline
• Work independently
• Break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people and to develop sources and audience.
• Competitive, collaborative, curious
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Able to leverage source relationships to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• Knowledge of the Cincinnati region a plus.
1-3 years of journalism experience
Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
Knowledge of business and/or business community a plus.
Experience with using social media to source and promote content is key.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and clips that best show enterprising and scoops reporting to Beth Hunt, Director of Editorial Recruiting and Development at American City Business Journals: firstname.lastname@example.org