We are seeking a reporter and writer who will keep C&EN readers informed about research policy news and trends in the chemical sciences.
What you’ll do:
- Write breaking news for C&EN’s website and longer-form features for its weekly print magazine, with opportunities to work on podcasts and video.
- Identify potential news and features about chemistry-relevant research policy topics, including stories about academic publishing and peer review, research ethics and misconduct, government research funding, demographics and diversity, careers and employment, and science education.
- Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories for all platforms, including website, newsletters, mobile app, podcasts, and print magazine.
4.Construct sophisticated and complex stories that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s art team to create graphics and infographics that engage and inform audiences.
- Work with colleagues to find the widest possible audience for your journalism. Share your work and interact with our audience on social media.
- Develop contacts in governments, non-governmental organizations, and the policy community through attendance at scientific conferences, press briefings and other events; interviews; and social media audience building.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience working as a national policy, science, or higher education journalist. 3-5 years of professional experience is required to apply for the mid-level position; a minimum of 5 years is required for the advanced level.
- A background in chemistry or a related scientific field is preferred; policy knowledge and familiarity with government agencies, such as NSF, NIH, and NIST, is a plus.
- Strong news judgment, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
4.The ability to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources.
- Track record of writing engaging stories on complex topics for a scientifically sophisticated audience.
- Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.
- The ability to work productively, collaboratively and within ACS core values across various teams to produce a high-quality product
Along with a résumé, submit a cover letter describing how you’d approach the job and 2-3 sample clips, including a brief explanation of what each story shows about your capabilities. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting your résumé at our job site.
For further details click here.