Cheddar seeks a managing editor
Cheddar is looking to hire a driven and creative Managing Editor to help us develop a stronger digital presence that, with text, images and video, that complements our growing news networks.
The ideal candidate has a strong pedigree in digital journalism with experience in managing young journalists and editing their work, who understands and embraces best practices in creating text-based content and who has up-to-date experience in creating content that performs well in search and on social platforms.
The candidate we choose will manage a small team of journalists to write and edit and work with the news producers, reporters and anchors at Cheddar’s business news network and Cheddar Big News. The position will require flexibility, perseverance and patience as Cheddar grows its digital presence. And equally important, the candidate we choose will be expected to embrace Cheddar’s start-up culture and work ethic.
The Managing Editor will play a central role in Cheddar’s growing newsroom. While the main mission will be creating and managing content for Cheddar.com and Cheddar’s newsletters, we are looking for an individual who can contribute to all aspects of our news coverage, including our live television programming, our on-demand video content, our original scoops-focused reporting and the journalism we create for Snap and other social platforms.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter and a relentless, ethical editor who thrives in a high-pressure environment and can meet tight deadlines. She or he must be adaptable and flexible, a team player who is able to mix easily and work effectively in our small, scrappy and highly collaborative team. The person we choose will report directly to the Editor in Chief.
- 8-12 years experience writing and editing in a digital newsroom.
- 4 years experience as a manager. (Some business news experience is a plus.)
- Must be willing to work collaboratively with other managers.
- Must be comfortable with all forms of digital expression, text, images, video and social media.
- Must embrace principles of ethical journalism.
- Must be willing to work a demanding schedule.
- Must be a fast and clever editor who can improve text-based content and help guide writers.
- Must be an innovative problem-solver who would be comfortable in a start-up environment.
To apply, go here.