The Charlotte Business Journal is looking for a reporter to cover banking and finance in one of the sector’s most dynamic regions of the country.
This beat requires solid understanding of finance and financial documents, certainly, but also an exceptional ability to develop source relationships that will lead you to the most important stories for CBJ’s elite readership of business leaders.
CBJ reporters are expected to provide forward-looking business intelligence to savvy readers not just to inform them, but connect them with decision-makers and also educate them on the strategies that work — or don’t work. A focus on the people behind the deals is essential.
In our newsroom, reporters own their beats and day-to-day coverage. To bring in source-driven scoops, reporters are expected to be vigilant networkers and relationship managers. Our best stories come from people not press releases. Scoops matter — a lot — and on top of that, readers demand to not only know what is happening, but why and how. We break hard news that sometimes sources don’t want brought to light but we don’t burn bridges.
• Report and write short and longer-form stories across all platforms
• Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives
• Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders
• Scoop competitors on every story of any significance, not only telling them what happened, but why and how
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the Business Journal from competitors
• 3-5 years reporting in a newsroom
• Track record in the news business of building, maintaining and engaging an audience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply: https://bit.ly/3xlx3W8