Central Florida Public Media stations WMFE and WMFV are seeking a passionate, mission-driven, and creative individual to join as the Producer/Reporter. The Producer/Reporter will help shape the sound and content of Are We There Yet?, WMFE’s flagship podcast focusing on space exploration and scientific discovery. This position will work closely with the show’s host to nurture and grow the program, brokering conversations from space and science leaders, bringing inspiring and curious conversations to WMFE’s on-air and digital audiences. This position also offers the opportunity for some general assignment reporting.
This role will spend approximately 70% of time producing Are We There Yet? and 30% of time supporting the WMFE newsroom as general assignment reporter. The Producer/Reporter is responsible for developing Are We There Yet’s? editorial content and day to day operations, working collaboratively with the show host to develop each episode’s overall theme.
The Producer/Reporter will then produce show segments based on topic ideas; research, identify and book guests; edit show content for on-air broadcast and online/digital use; and serve as the show’s backup host. The position will work with the show host, WMFE News Director and WMFE Director of Audio Content to distribute the show beyond the WMFE newsroom and expand its scope and coverage. Additionally, the Producer/Reporter will contribute to news reporting, providing local audio and digital news stories for the station’s local newscasts and WMFE.org. Occasionally, the producer will assist with special projects such as series reporting, audio documentaries, other podcast projects and other duties as assigned.
- Identify and develop show themes and segment ideas for Are We There Yet? that fit the show’s mission with a commitment to including diverse voices.
- Book and schedule live and remote interviews with guests, script questions and provide host with background research for taping.
- Possibly conduct some guest interviews.
- Edit segments and produce the show on deadline for broadcast and podcast distribution.
- Create online content from show elements for WMFE.org and WMFE’s social media channels.
- Contribute to WMFE’s local news with audio and online news stories.
- Assist with special projects like reporting series, audio documentaries, and specialty podcasts.
Qualifications & Skills for Success:
- One to two years of production and/or journalism experience (this can include a strong portfolio of student journalism)
- Demonstrated understanding of news judgment and journalism ethics and a passion for audio storytelling.
- Experience turning stories on a tight deadline while also juggling other tasks.
- Experience researching topics, developing probing and engaging questions for interviews, and write scripts for broadcast.
- Experience using audio editing software like Adobe Audition or Hindenburg and audio recording equipment.
- Background in science and/or technology journalism.
- Passion for space, science and astronomy and familiarity with current trends and news stories within those topics.
- Experience creating multimedia content for web and social media preferred.
- Podcast or show hosting experience
- Audio reporting experience
Annual Salary Range: $40,000- $55,000
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, please send an email to HR@wmfe.orgwith your resume and a letter of interest telling us why you’re a great fit for this position, why WMFE is a great fit for you, and how you heard about the position. Only complete applications will be considered.
- The position is open until filled, but first review of applications will take place starting June 1, 2023.
For further details click here.