American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Editorial to join a small management team that works together to run all aspects of production on a day-to-day basis. A player-manager role, the Director of Editorial helps assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to rapid response columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Director will help with daily production of the website; the hiring, training, and management of editorial staff; various digital projects including websites; and short- and long-term planning.
Ideal candidates will have a clear understanding of American Progress’ mission and a thoughtful approach to collaboration with a variety of writers and policy experts.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Line edit and copyedit American Progress’ products including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Help to manage, train, and mentor a team of editors.
- Help conceptualize and scaffold complex policy ideas and create narrative companion pieces, making them accessible to large audiences.
- Write and/or project manage large, organizationwide products.
- Work collaboratively with policy team leads, functional teams, and various department managers, and fill in for other team managers as needed.
- Work on the conception and execution of interactives, videos, and special projects related to edited reports and issue briefs.
- Help conduct writing trainings with authors and editors.
- Edit/update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Help maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Help maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least seven years of writing and editing experience, as well as management experience, with the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to a general audience.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced journalistic environment and under time constraints.
- Strong management skills to oversee a diverse team.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability and strong interest in training others, especially on writing best practices.
- Strong project management and problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Proficiency with AP Style and WordPress.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Trello, InDesign, Illustrator, and other production platforms is a plus.
This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $92,000.
For more information click here.