As Producer of Insight, your primary duties will be to support our community-driven efforts through the production of Insight via our recorded and on-air segments and in all aspects of the production. Typical tasks include: researching and identifying topics for programs, producing and booking show segments, writing promos, scripts and descriptions for capradio.org, and working on projects in a team-oriented environment and in collaboration with the Managing Editor. You will be a significant contributor to structuring and ensuring the tether between our audience and the community.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for the issues facing the communities CapRadio serves and regularly generates original ideas, identifies suitable topics for discussion, and conducts thorough research to assist the Managing Editor and host in preparation for segments, guests and special broadcasts, including breaking news. This role requires solid news judgment for participation in all aspects of the editorial process and production of Insight.
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for CapRadio’s Producer, Insight!
The ideal candidate will provide continuity and redundancy for show functions and they will be fully competent to meet the operational needs of the show and execution of the program.
- In consultation with the Managing Editor, Host and other Producers, research and identify topics and/or artists for future programs, demonstrating skill and ingenuity in assisting Host’s preparation for show segments
- Confer with Managing Editor, Host and other Producers to select, pre-interview and schedule in-studio and virtual guests
- Collaborate with Managing Editor, Host and other Producers to regularly book and direct show segments independently and collectively, including scripts, promos and digital content
- Participate in all aspects of daily show production, including breaking news, working collaboratively with News. Independently and collectively makes decisions on breaking news coverage segments
- Write and produce promos, scripts and descriptions for digital platforms, meeting industry and CapRadio standards
- Independently prepares, directs and produces pre-recorded segments
- Responsible for quality assurance of the audio clips generated by the show team and outside sources. Responsible for authoring post-show quality control reports and follow up with production team. Point person for other teams on quality and content.
- Operate broadcast equipment and edit sound files at a high level of proficiency, meeting industry and CapRadio audio standards
- Train and assist other producers in their research, guest sourcing and editing.
- Assist with special projects, such as debates, candidate interviews and performances, as needed
- Assist Managing Editor in overseeing the content of the show segments Act as a leading show producer in the absence of Managing Editor, News Talk
- Participate in on-air fund drives
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field or 4 years’ equivalent work experience
- 4 years’ experience in reporting or broadcast production with a record of stories or shows that are accurate and include a balance of diverse perspectives
- Excellent news judgment and demonstrated ability to conceive and shape topics
- Demonstrated excellence in writing skills, as well as research and interviewing
- Understanding of social media best practices
- Familiarity with public radio news programming preferred
- Detail-oriented and able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with multiple priorities
- Valid California driver’s license and evidence of insurability
For more information click here.