Cap City News is seeking a Cheyenne-based reporter to help us create fresh, relevant and timely news content for the citizens of Cheyenne and southeast Wyoming.
An exciting position in Cheyenne, our Community Reporter creates content on a daily basis, proactively working to increase visibility and reader engagement with city-related news, breaking news, crime, courts and school board news. As Community Reporter, you’ll use your writing, editing and photography skills to deliver timely and accurate information to our community. You’ll primarily cover city and county news, along with select local boards and activities. You’ll also facilitate conversation among community members, serving as the voice of one of the area’s fastest growing news platforms. The Community Reporter is an active participant within the community and your work will be seen by thousands of people each day.
Essential functions of this role include: working as a member of a small news team to effectively cover city news, ability to create timely and accurate content, managing multiple assignments each day, interviewing community members, covering community events, writing short feature stories, writing news summaries and reporting to a managing editor. You’ll be supported in your endeavors by an existing full-time general-assignment reporter in Cheyenne, as well as a news team located in nearby Casper and Gillette, Wyoming.
- Experience or formal training as a journalist covering local interest news, features and events in a community similar to Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Cheyenne, Wyoming or nearby communities.
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write quickly and accurately
- Experienced social media user
- Passionate about the community
- Create original content for Cheyenne online-only news platform CapCity.news.
- Attend press conferences, briefings, public meetings
- Attend community events
- File reports from the scene of breaking news
- Edit and prepare reader-submitted tips for publication
- Upload/publish content on digital platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Contribute to community promotion, engagement strategies and tactics related to the brand
- Monitors discussions, resource postings, and trends within the community and on brand platforms; identifies and reports usage trends and advises on potential opportunities
- Networks with community members
- Coordinates with future support staff to ensure high level of quality and community engagement
Compensation: • $38-$48k starting salary, depending on experience
To apply, send your resume and at least three samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. TELECOMMUTERS NEED NOT APPLY
For further information click here.